About the Firm
California Immigration Lawyer Advocates To Bring and Keep Your Family Together
RESPONSIVE COUNSEL FOR IMMIGRANT AND NONIMMIGRANT VISAS, and CITIZENSHIP MATTERS
Before applying for a visa or attempting to resolve an immigration issue, it's in your best interests to consult with a skilled attorney. At Gilliland Law, APC in Carlsbad, I have represented clients in a variety of visa, green card, and difficult immigration matters. I have helped clients in California and abroad with all types of family-based immigration cases. Whether you need assistance obtaining a temporary visa or building a solid removal defense, I can help you navigate the U.S. legal system with confidence.
COMMITTED REPRESENTATION FOR VISAS, NATURALIZATIONS, WAIVERS, and ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS
My firm is dedicated to representing clients in the following practice areas:
- Family-based immigration — I have extensive experience handling all types of family-based visa applications. Whether you're looking to get an “immediate relative” or “family” preference immigration visa, I can help you compile and submit the necessary documents.
- Visas Based on Marriage — I can help you through the difficult process of bringing your spouse to the United States or keeping your spouse in the United States.
- Fiancé Visas — Bring your fiancé to the United States so that you can get married is an important part of growing your family. I can help you compile and submit the necessary documents.
- Adjustment of Status — When your circumstances change your status will need to be adjusted. I can help you determine if you qualify for this immigration benefit and get you through the process.
- Waivers — If you have entered into the United States without inspection and would be subject to the 3 or 10 year ban, a waiver is what you need. This is a complex area of law that requires experience to present your best case for extreme hardship.
- Asylum — Are you afraid to go back to your home country? Is there a credible threat of harm if you were to return? If so, the Asylum process may be able to help you.
EFFICIENT LEGAL SERVICE FROM A REPUTABLE ATTORNEY
Depending on the circumstances of your case, the path to success may be fraught with dense paperwork and legal complications. I know how to explain immigration law in a simplified manner so that you understand what's going on with your case at all times. Clients throughout California seek my counsel on immigration matters for many reasons, but primarily because I:
- Provide individualized attention — Realizing that no two cases are ever the same, I custom tailor my representation to meet your distinct needs.
- Sympathize with clients — I understand that your immigration issue may be causing you anxiety and work quickly to find the most efficient resolution for your case.
- Offer reputable service — In California and overseas, my firm has received many strong recommendations from clients as well as members of the legal community.
It's normal to be nervous about a pending immigration issue. However, an experienced lawyer can assuage your fears and help you file paperwork properly. I offer a free initial consultation so you can understand the law as well as the steps ahead.
California Attorney Guides Clients Through the Family-Based Immigration Process
COMPREHENSIVE COUNSEL FOR PEOPLE LOOKING TO HELP LOVED ONES IMMIGRATE
Gilliland Law explains the procedures and requirements that are involved with different forms of family-based immigration. In most cases, my clients are U.S. citizens or permanent residents who need to learn about the best ways to obtain U.S. entry or permanent residence for a relative: parent, spouse, fiancé or fiancée, son or daughter, brother or sister. I can help you understand what to expect and what needs to be done. I serve family, individual and business clients nationwide and around the world. My versatility and breadth of experience in U.S. immigration law represent a significant benefit for my clients.
SKILLED ADVOCATE ASSISTS WITH VISA AND STATUS ISSUES
Much of my work for family clients involves achieving entry, maintenance of status, adjustment of status, change of status, and finding the fastest and most effective ways to meet immediate or ongoing immigration objectives. Sometimes the fastest way will require additional work later on, as when a noncitizen spouse enters the United States on a nonimmigrant K-3 visa. I give my clients clear explanations of all their options, so that the eventual choice is based on sound advice and clear judgment.
Examples of the kinds of family immigration situations I handle include:
- Permanent residence (green card) for immediate relatives
- Entry and permanent residence for noncitizen spouses
- Preference categories for family-based immigration visas
- Nonimmigrant K-3 visas
- Fiancé or fiancée visas
- Adjustment of status
- Consular processing
- Family-based waivers of inadmissibility
- Naturalization and citizenship
- Removal defense
I explain each process carefully, so that you know just what to expect: length of time, priority dates, evidence and documentation requirements, visa bulletins, interview process, and the affidavits of support that must be completed for the noncitizen relative.
I provide straightforward and timely answers to your questions while giving you the information you need to make informed choices about your family.
Accomplished California Lawyer Represents Immigrants Seeking Green Cards
CARLSBAD ATTORNEY HELPS PEOPLE IN THEIR APPLICATIONS FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCY STATUS
Gilliland Law delivers knowledgeable counsel for immigrants who wish to establish permanent residency in the United States. Often referred to as a “green card,” this designation allows people to reside in, and return to, the United States for life. Various factors can affect your ability to become a permanent resident, including:
- Marriage to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- A close family relationship to a citizen or permanent resident
- Specific employment experience or skills
- A job offer within the United States
- Employment with the U.S. government in a foreign country
- The existence or threat of child abuse
- Length of time living in the United States without criminal violations
- Political unrest or persecution in one's home country
I take the time to understand each client's circumstances to create a strategy that gives them the best chance to remain in the country.
DEDICATED LAWYER GUIDING PEOPLE THROUGH THE RESIDENCY PROCESS
Establishing permanent residency in the United States usually begins with a visa petition from a spouse, relative or potential employer. This sets forth your reasons for requesting a green card. From there, the process can be very quick or take several years depending upon your circumstances. I have the background to estimate how your application will be handled based on the type of petition, your individual attributes and the number of green cards available to citizens of your home country.
Contact a California immigration attorney for assistance in getting a green card
From my Carlsbad office, I serve clients throughout California.
California Immigration Attorney Counsels on Citizenship
CARLSBAD LAWYER HELPS WITH THE NATURALIZATION PROCESS
The status of citizen of the United States is coveted throughout the world. The right to live freely within the most prosperous nation on Earth and to help relatives to immigrate here as well is a cherished opportunity afforded to very few who desire it. Gilliland Law understands how fervently my clients long to live the American dream. Drawing on more than 17 years of experience, I help lawful U.S. residents complete the requirements to become full citizens of the United States.
CALIFORNIA IMMIGRATION LAWYER ASSISTS WITH NATURALIZATION
A lawfully-admitted permanent U.S. resident can apply for citizenship through the naturalization process starting at age 18, provided other conditions are met. I can assist you in preparing your application and advancing step-by-step through the naturalization process.
THE QUESTION OF GOOD MORAL CHARACTER IN NATURALIZATION CASES
In order to be considered for citizenship, a permanent resident must demonstrate “good moral character.” While this does not require a showing of extraordinary virtue, it is a heavily-weighted factor, and even a minor brush with the law can be a major impediment. I understand how the USCIS interprets “good moral character,” and can present your story in the best possible light. I am also experienced at having criminal records expunged, and can often accomplish that before the application process begins. With Gilliland Law supporting your citizenship application, you know you have a reliable legal attorney behind you.
California Lawyer Aids in Obtaining Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas
LAW FIRM IN CARLSBAD REPRESENTS PEOPLE LOOKING TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES TEMPORARILY OR PERMANENTLY
Citizens of other countries who wish to enter the United States face obstacles whether they wish to visit or reside here permanently. At Gilliland Law, I help people and businesses who want to undertake this process in a professional manner that offers the best chance for success.
ATTORNEY HELPING IMMIGRANTS WHO INTEND TO MAKE THE UNITED STATES THEIR HOME
Obtaining a visa is the first step in establishing permanent residency in the United States, a process more commonly known as getting one's green card. Whether the visa is sought by a spouse, relative, fiancé or employer, I can handle the strict application requirements. I aid petitions for individuals not yet in the country as well as those for people already here who wish to adjust their status.
DEFENSE AGAINST VIOLATIONS
Penalties for violating immigration laws are severe, including heavy fines for employers and lifetime bans from entering the United States for immigrants convicted of misrepresenting material facts. I know what is necessary to mount a successful defense, and will defend you vigorously against such charges.
KNOWLEDGEABLE COUNSELOR ASSISTING PEOPLE WHO WANT TO STAY IN THE UNITED STATES
If U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) starts the removal process against you, I can advise you on your options. The immigration system is large, impersonal, and one in which mistakes often occur. It is very likely that officials do not understand your individual circumstances. I can help press any defenses available to you, including:
- Charging errors
- Political asylum or refugee status
- Threat to safety if returned to home country
- Green card eligibility based on length of time in United States and potential hardship upon return
- Domestic or family abuse
I have the knowledge and experience to ensure that you have a full, fair review of your situation so that you have the best chance possible to continue your life in the United States.
Contact a California immigration lawyer who can help you oppose deportation
Check out my YouTube Videos
What is an Affidavit of Support? https://youtu.be/lycqva0Tnd4